We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Meat and poultry
- Beef mince
This is our family's version of the humble cottage pie. Don't be light-handed with the grated cheese on top - that's my favourite bit!
6 people made this
- 450g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 450g beef mince
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400ml beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 400g frozen mixed peas and carrots, or to taste
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 120g grated mature Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:25min ›Ready in:45min
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Add potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes; drain and return to pan.
- While potatoes are boiling, heat oil in a large pan. Cook mince with onion, red pepper and garlic until mince has browned. Stir in beef stock, ketchup, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and curry powder. Bring to the boil and simmer 3 to 4 minutes. Mix corn flour with a little water to form a paste, then stir it into pan with tomatoes, peas and carrots. Cook until thickened; season with salt and pepper. Spoon into a casserole dish.
- Preheat grill. Add milk and butter to cooked potatoes, and mix until smooth and creamy. Spoon over meat mixture. Sprinkle top with grated cheese.
- Place under grill for 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted and is golden brown.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(521)
Reviews in English (399)
Made this tonight.. i added a tin of chopped tomatoes and some mushrooms. It was gorgeous.. will definitely make again. Thanks for sharing this recipe-07 Jan 2018
My loving wife complained from the first moment she heard the word "curry" until she was finished the 3rd bowl. If i would have told her the original recipe had ketchup in it, she would have freaked out! she mentioned that the curry was making her thirsty and sleepy. i prevailed, though, and kept a cool head the entire time. by the end of the night we both had several bowls full of this delightful dish, even my cat was licking the bowl clean!! and guess what? the cat didnt complain one bit. :D i would definitely make this again, only next time i will not mention any of the ingredients. i will simply put the plate in front of her mouth and say, "EAT!"-06 Dec 2008
The flavor in this pie was excellent. However, the whole can of beef broth in the mixture made it difficult to thicken, even with extra cornstarch. I would also increase the potatoes to 1 1/2 or 2 lbs. if you like a lot of potatoes. But I am definitely planning on making this again with half a can of broth.-19 Mar 2003
Simple Cottage Pie Recipe
I saw this recipe on a cable TV show in Cairo years ago. It's quick and easy and tastes the same each time you make it. Easy to memorize, too!
Schedule your weekly meals and get auto-generated shopping lists.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 carrots, peeled but not sliced
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 6 potatoes, boiled and mashed (or 1 small package instant potatoes)
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- pinch of salt
- Cassserole dish
- 1 lb. ground beefshopping list
- 2 carrots, peeled but not sliced shopping list
- 1/2 small onion, chopped shopping list
- 6 potatoes, boiled and mashed (or 1 small package instant potatoes) shopping list
- 1 tomato, chopped shopping list
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauceshopping list
- pinch of saltshopping list
- Cassserole dish shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a frying pan, brown the beef over mediium heat.
- Add the carrots by shaving them in to the beef using your potato peeler.
- Add tomatoes and onion.
- Stir, then add Worcestershire sauce.
- Add salt.
- Stir and turn off heat.
- Pour the beef mixture into casserole dish.
- Top mixture with mashed potatoes.
- Score the mashed potatoes with a fork, going lengthwise.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until potatoes are just brown and crisp at the edges of the cassserole.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup or 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup or Campbell's® Condensed Unsalted Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 package (about 10 ounces) frozen peas and carrots or your favorite frozen vegetable combination (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes
Ultimate Cottage Pie Recipe (Shepherd’s Pie with Beef)
I love this version of Cottage Pie because it offers a robust beefy flavor, kissed with dijon mustard and herbs.
The bold filling is chunky and colorful, mixed with onions, carrots, corn, and peas. It is the perfect complement to the fluffy mashed potato top.
And even if you choose to buy pre-made mashed potatoes (no judgment life is busy!) we doctor the potatoes by adding shredded cheddar cheese to the mix to offer extra richness… And help create a crispy crust!
This Beef Shepherd’s Pie is fast to assemble, and oh so comforting. You are going to absolutely LOVE it!
- Add Some Guinness: Change the flavor by adding some Guinness beer to your sauce!
- Make Individual Casseroles: Put the casserole in individual casserole dishes to make your presentation fancy. Make extra and freeze them!
- Use Pre made Mashed Potatoes: If you don’t have any leftovers, don’t worry, there are some great pre-made frozen and boxed options in the refrigerator and freezer section. Or try using Tator Tots!
- Try Cauliflower: Carb Conscious? Top with Mashed Cauliflower.
⭐⭐⭐ RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐⭐⭐
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it in the comment section below.
How To Make: Quick and Easy Cottage Pie Bowlsby Melissa Jacobs
How To Make: Cottage Pie. Image credit: AdobeStock
How To Make: Chocolate Biscuit Salami
How To Make: Bacon Roly-Poly
How To Make: Deviled Eggs on the Go
How To Make: Oat Crunchies With Yogurt Glaze
This traditional English classic makes for the perfect meal on a cold winter’s night. Nothing quite beats the sight and smell of the savoury beef mince and rich gravy bubbling away while the mashed potato transforms into a golden crust in the oven. Want to try making these quick and easy cottage pie bowls? Keep reading to find out how.
Cottage Pie is economical and easy. Another plus is that it is one of those meals that are perfect to make in advance. It will keep in the fridge for four days – assembled and ready to heat, or once cooked.
Another plus is that cottage pie freezes well. You can bake from frozen (although this would take about an hour) or thaw then bake or microwave. For this hearty cottage pie bowl recipe, freeze the mixture and topping in individual ovenproof bowls for an easy meal for one.
- Any melting cheese will work like a charm, but consider using parmesan cheese to make the top of your cottage pie extra crispy and golden.
- To stop the potato from sinking into the beef filling, cool the filling first.
Ever wondered what’s the difference between cottage pie and shepherd’s pie? The same recipe except cottage pie is made with beef and shepherd’s pie is made with lamb. Now to the recipe on how to make: Quick and Easy Cottage Pie Bowls
Why is it called “Shepherd’s Pie”?
The name Shepherd’s Pie actually comes from England a few centuries ago and they used the term to define a dish made of minced meat with potatoes on top.
It was called Shepherd’s Pie if it was made with lamb and they actually called the dish “Cottage Pie” if it was made with beef.
So I guess if we are going to get technical, this recipe is for Cottage Pie.
- 500g (1 pound) ground beef mince
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1 Oxo beef stock cube
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoons frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Ingredients for a cottage pie
Cottage Pie Bowl – Quick and easy homemade frozen dinner/>by Melissa Jacobs
Nothing soothes the soul like the comfort of a bowl of mom’s homemade cottage pie. If you’re a busy parent, college student or individual on the move, this Cottage Pie Bowl recipe is the right one for you. This perfect serving size recipe can be frozen in its individual bowls or containers so that all you need to do when you get home is defrost and heat it up.
The recipe includes a quick and easy to prepare mince meat sauce topped with some fluffy mashed potatoes and a sprinkle of cheese. There aren’t many dishes this easy and comforting to eat. You can even freeze the mince meat with the layer of mashed potatoes on its own and add the cheese when you defrost and reheat it. It’s all up to you. Remember that you need to let your bowls cool completely before freezing them. If you feel like it, why not add a freshly made green salad on the side? There is more than enough time to throw a salad together while your bowl of delicious cottage pie is defrosting and heating up.
Quick and Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 can condensed minestrone soup
- 1 can green beans
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Meet the Author: Camille Beckstrand
Want to save time in the kitchen? Make 8 Freezer Meals in 1 Hour!
Leave a Review! Cancel Reply
I love quick & easy recipes! Thanks for sharing this one!
Ps--I tried your 30 minutes rolls & they were a hit! Thanks for the awesome recipe, I will make this again & again in the future!
I also have a Quick Shepherd's Pie recipe but I'm exited to try this one out & see how it compares to mine. Since I'm already writing I think I'll share recipe in case anyone is interested.
1 lb ground beef
1 family size can Campbell's brand Vegetable Beef Soup
4 cups mashed potatoes
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Brown hamburger and drain. Add soup season with salt and pepper. Pour into large 9x13 casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes. Spread cheese on top of potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Since the soup already has vegetables in it you can opt out of adding other vegetables but since we're veggie ppl I often add a can of whatever vegetable we have laying around.